Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have urinary tract infection, I was prescribed Nitrofur Macr

Customer Question

I have urinary tract infection, I was prescribed Nitrofur Macr 100 mg. two per day. I took pill per day(mistake) for a week ,then 2 per day until the 20 pills were used up.For the first week I felt better, but after going back to the proper dosage in about week the symtoms came back and I felt the same as before I started taking medication.Should I try another medication?Wiil any drug work now?Now I'm taking cranberry products they make feel better .What do you think I should do now? Gerald
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Hi Gerald,

What are your symptoms today?
Are you having any blood in your urine or fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Burniing feeling in the bladder area.Mild pain in the lower back area. Some anxiety. I am able to perform my daily activities but I have force myself. I have the urge to urinate frequently.Not not too much pain during urination.I have my better days(now)but the thing flares up and I feel terrilble..Also I get very anxious that no med. will work. Further.there may be little blood in thr urine but the doctor said not to wory about it.The urine appears quite clear(midstream) At the beginning ,some pus is floating around..No fever now,but sweating during my bad bouts.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

It sounds like your urinary tract infection simply did not go away because of the fact that you took the one pill daily for the first week.

You may need to be treated with a different antibiotic at this point. The cranberry juice alone will not get rid of it, unfortunately.

Try not to worry about not being able to find a medication that works. There are so many antibiotics out there. Your doctor may need to send an culture to the lab to determine exactly what antibiotic is appropriate for the bacterial infection you have, but usually bladder infections are easy to treat.

The reason yours did not go away was likely because you didn't take the antibiotics correctly (an easy mistake!)

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have more questions regarding same problem
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am available if you would like to ask your questions.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have another health problem.I got a hernia in the groin area.I have an appointment with a surgeon in 2 two months..I am feeling worse from day to day.What are the signs that I need more attention. I realize that sugery will be needed eventually.What are some suggetions? Thank-you..
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Hello Gerald,

I am sorry to hear about the hernia.
Could you describe your symptoms for me now?
When you say that you are feeling worse from day to day, what do you mean by that?
Are you having any problems with bowel movements?
Groin pain?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a discomfort in the groin area and a lttle pain.I am feeling anxious and slighltly nauseated.No problem with bowel moments. I don't feel like going out as much.Slightly nauseated.So far I'm eating,sleeping and doing the neccessary things.My main concern is waiting to see a surgeon in two months,Somrthing serious cpuld happen before that.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I can understand your concern.
There is a risk of complications of untreated hernias (incarceration, which is trapping of the bowel in the hernia and strangulation, where the blood supply then becomes cut off) but it is not common. One study demonstrated that the risk of waiting three months was about 3%.

Symptoms of strangulation of the bowel include sudden onset or rapid increase of pain in the area of the hernia, extreme tenderness in the area of the hernia, redness in the area of the hernia, increased heart rate, fever (this comes later), nausea and vomiting.

If you notice that the pain is increasing or start vomiting, then I would go to the emergency room.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

I hope that you feel better,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!