Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Hi my name is Alan and I have been diagnosed with low sodium

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been diagnosed with low sodium   I ma 69 on 9/17/40 I never had low sodium before   could it be Probiotics whiich which I am taking. i have had three blood tests and urine tests.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Is this low sodium from a urine test or blood test?

A sodium level of 69 in a blood sample is not feasible. Do you have the test reports with you?

What symptoms do you have for which the tests were done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
two blood tests indicated sodium at 130 and one blood test at 129 all three urine tests inticated sodium urine at 38 i did not have any systems that i am aware of the doctor noticed the low sodium readings during a phsica exam
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Okay, your sodium levels are moderately low. The medical term used is Hyponateremia, and there can be several causes for this. Since you are otherwise healthy and have no symptoms, possible causes in your case are disorder of adrenal gland, SIADH, kidney failure, medication side effects etc. You should have complete blood tests to look for hormone levels of adrenal hormones, thyroid hormones, urine osmolality, serum protein concentration etc. A consultation with a nephrologist should also be considered.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WHat is the cure for low sodium and what is low sodium

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Low sodium is basically when concentration of sodium in our blood falls below a certain level. Sodium is normally present in our blood, and we obtain it from the food we eat. The concentration of sodium is regulated by various hormones secreted by our body. Sodium is essential for normal functioning of body cells.

There are literally dozens of possible causes for low sodium, so the treatment would depend on finding what is causing it, and then correcting the underlying cause. If it is the hormonal imbalance, then treatment with hormones will be needed to correct it. Certain medications can cause low sodium, and even drinking too much water can cause it. Excessive beer drinking can also cause it. So treatment would depend on the cause, and you should work with your doctor to find the cause.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is the cure for low sodium and what is low sodium how could i have gotton it and is there a cure
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Please read my response above, and let me know if you have more questions.