Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)
14102772

What does lymphs absolute high mean?

I had a blood test done and I do not understand the results. What does it mean if you Lymph absolute is high? But all else seems normal. It is not the lymphocyte it is the lymph absolute

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 5 years ago.

A raised lymphocyte count indicates a chronic infection. A normal count is between 20-40.

Thanks.

Normal lymphocyte count is in the rage between 16-45% (some labs 20-40%)of white blood cells (WBCs). Increased lymphocytes (lymphocytosis) in adults is defined as an absolute lymphocyte count greater than 4,000/mm3.

It is necessary to distinguish between absolute and relative lymphocytosis. Absolute lymphocytosis may be defined as an increase in blood lymphocytes above 4,000/mm3. Relative lymphocytosis occurs when there is an increased percentage of circulating lymphocytes, but the absolute number does not exceed 4,000/mm3.

Relative, rather than absolute, leukocytosis occurs in a number of clinical situations, such as infancy, viral infections, connective tissue diseases, thyrotoxicosis and Addison's disease. Splenomegaly causes relative lymphocytosis as a result of splenic sequestration of granulocytes. I hope that helps.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure you are understanding my results the normal range for lymph absolute is1.3-2.9 K/ul mine is 3.46 my lymphocyes are at normal range do that help?
Could you tell me the reason why these tests were done?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to the doctor for insomnia and feeling tired and anxious.
Do you have any joint pains?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I did have a short spell of back and chest pain. He thought it may be anxiety. I am concerned that this test is canser it runs in the family that is why I am worried.
Which cancer runs in your family? Is it leukemia?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, and other forms my father had cancer I forgot the name though. I have had cervical dysplasia when I was younger.

It is unlikely to be due to that. Cervical dysplasia of lesser severity usually gets treated by itself. I asked you to give me the normal ranges of the tests that you had mentioned earlier.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
normal range is 1.3-2.9 K/uL mine is 3.46 I am just wondering if I should be concerned. I cannot talk with my Doctor till Monday.

You are having absolute lymphocytosis which could be caused by leukemia. The causes of absolute lmphocytosis could be

-acute viral infections, such as infectious mononucleosis, Epstein-Barr virus infection, and hepatitis
- other acute infections such as pertussis
- some protozoal infections, such as toxoplasmosis
- chronic intracellular bacterial infections such as tuberculosis or brucellosis
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia

Since, you have a positive history you need to be explored further. Diagnosis. Diagnosing leukemia begins with a medical history and physical examination, complete blood count, and blood smears. Because the symptoms are so general, many other diseases with similar symptoms must be excluded. Typically, the higher the white blood cell count, the worse the prognosis. Blast cells are seen on blood smear in 90% of cases. A bone marrow biopsy is conclusive proof of leukemia A spinal tap will tell if the spinal column and brain has been invaded.

Thanks.

Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)