Mel.
Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.

what causes large bumps on forehead under the skin they reduce

Customer Question

what causes large bumps on forehead under the skin? they reduce with antibiotcs but return and not always in the same spot. they can be 2" to 3' in diameter. they are tender
to the touch and have advanced past the hairline. I'm a 49 yead old female.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.
You should consult a dermatologist for this.

There are many conditions that are possible.

One possibility is Lichen Planus.
Link.

It could also be just an allergic reaction to something in your environment. Other possibilities are dermatofibromas, neurofibromas, etc.

You should consult a dermatologist for this so that you can get an accurate diagnosis.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You missed an important point. These bumps are not on thr surface. They are under the skin and as they come and go, they appear in different locations, lately have moved up under the hairline. There is no eruptons.
Lichen plaus can cause subcutaneous bumps without eruptions. A history of remission and excaberation with the lesions occuring in different areas each time is characterestic.There are several forms of Lichen planus. It also commonly involves the scalp region.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand your last answer. I've reviewed the links to LP and every sentence discusses eruptions with no reference to bumps "under" the skin, unless I just didn't understand some of the medical terms. Where does that answer come from? Please think "out of the box" and explain or come up with a different answer. Thanks

I am opting out so that other experts can help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does this mean no one there has any other suggestions?
Expert:  Mel. replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

The previous expert you were working with has opted out so I will try my best to help you.

It is quite possible that this is a hormonal problem, but first it needs to be established that it is not something as simple as blocked pores.

Lumps under the skin on the forehead can be caused from perspiration (clogged pores.) It's important to cleanse your face a couple of times a day with an oil-free cleanser. There are some very good ones at your local drug store. Often athletes such as football players or hockey players can get this problem.

Also, for women, (even men) any hair that is hanging on the forehead ie: a fringe, (and if you have oily hair) can clog pores. Just cleanse the face twice daily with oil-free cleanser, and apply wash with warm water, then cool (to close the pores.) Pat dry. You can ask your pharmacist for a cream for stopping your skin from flaking if this treatment causes it to. There are so many good products out on the market and some are not expensive at all.

If this does not work (I am almost sure it will) then you may have a hormone problem, but if this were the case you would more than likely have these bumps all over your face. Forehead bumps are usually clogged pores.

I know this sounds too simple an answer to be true but sometimes we tend to look for more complicated answers when in fact the simple things we tend to overlook.

If you try a twice daily regime as described above and it does not help, I would advise you to get your hormone balance checked out through a blood test.

I do hope you are able to get this sorted out soon.

With my very best wishes
Mel.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mel, Thank you for answer and concern. I don't see this as pore problem. Back to my original question, the bumps do not break the surface of the skin and they are 2" to 3"in diameter protrude as much as 1/16th to maybe 1/8th of an inch and they go away and come back, sometimes in a different area of the forehead. Thanks
Expert:  Mel. replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

Pore related conditions often don't break and are usually under the skin but that was only my first thought. Hormone imbalance is very high on my possibility list. There is one more thing also.Lipoma.

A Lipoma is nothing but a benign fatty lump that is made up entirely of fat cells. A lipoma can best be described as a soft deposit of fatty material. You can notice a Lipoma as a smooth even soft bump that can be felt under the skin. Some Lipomas, though, are harder than the others and can usually be noticed as hard lumps under the skin.

Usually heredity is an important factor in the development of Lipomas. In some cases an injury can cause the development of Lipoma in an individual. Although they do grow over a period of time, they do not usually bother the person who has them. Therefore, there is real no need to seek a solution to this problem.

However, since your problem is on your forehead, it is understandable that you are seeking a solution to avoid any embarrassment and moments of self-consciousness. If they are Lipomas they can be removed surgically.

Although I have thrown another idea into the mix, my gut feeling is hormonal imbalance, a simple blood test would establish if this is the cause and you could then be given a hormone replacement tablet to put the balance right.

Hope this helps.

Love Mel.