Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have ovarian cysts 13x20cm and 7x5cm dr gave me Primulot

I have ovarian cysts 13x20cm and 7x5cm dr gave me Primulot N to shrick it, will I gain weight? Are there any negative effects?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
PRIMOLUT N contains norethisterone, a progestogen, which is a synthetic hormonal product similar to the natural female hormone progesterone.
Listed side effects of Primolut N include-Abnormal vision, nausea, headache, fluid retention, migraine, shortness of breath, spotting , weight gain and skin rashes .
For further reading-
However undesirable effects are more common during the first months after the start of intake of Primolut N, and subside with duration of treatment.

I suggest you to consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am only on treatment of Prumelot N 1 tds x 10 days will it help?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Primolut N is used to treat irregular, painful or heavy periods and usually taken on selected days during the menstrual cycle.
About 2 to 4 days after completion of the treatment, withdrawal bleeding will occur which is similar to the intensity and duration of normal menstruation.
It helps to stop dysfunctional abnormal uterine bleeding caused due to ovarian cyst
and later regulate the normal menstrual cycle.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a Hysterectomy in 1983 want to know if it will help to shrinck the cysts?
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
PRIMOLUT N contains norethisterone .
Norethisterone is a molecule used in some combined oral contraceptive pills ..
Birth control pills are prescribed for functional cyst .

In postmenopausal women, ovarian cysts may not resolve.

In women who have stopped having menstrual periods, the most common causes of ovarian cysts include:

• Non-cancerous growths
  • Fluid collection in the ovary
Also your doctor may want to advise test called CA-125
CA-125 is a blood test that is sometimes drawn in women with ovarian cysts to diagnose ovarian cancer .
CA-125 is abnormally elevated in about 80 percent of women with advanced ovarian cancer.
In my opinion you should consult an Obs/gyn doctor for further diagnosis and management .
The size of ovarian cyst in your case is large and you should be seen by an OBS/GYN doctor .