Ask Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN Your Own Ques...

Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN
Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner

I am being told this is possibly allergies, numbness on face

I am being told this is possibly allergies, numbness on face , itchy ears, mouth , feeling like little pin pricks in face . No other health problems. This started about 2 months ago and it's a very humid day and fall time. My face feels strange like it's numb. I was told by friends it sound like mold or pollen allergy. Can this make a person feel numb in the face? I am 39 female and have no health problems all recent blood work for vitamin, hormones , diabeties, hypoglycemia, all fine.
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Thank you for writing in today. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions.

Any other medical conditions?

Any significant past medical history or traumas?

What makes the symptoms worse and better?

Have you tried antihistamines or decongestants? If so, how did your symptoms respond to the medication?

What other medications and supplements do you take?

You mention several labs as being fine. When were these labs done? Have you been evaluated for these symptoms specifically? If so, did your provider provide a diagnosis? Also, did your provider order any diagnostic testing, such as scans?

Please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I recently had this happen to me after I ate peanuts. I felt itchy in face and numbness tingling in head. Felt like my lips were swollen a bit . No distress breathing . I have had itchiness in mouth , in ears and on face but a feeling of numbness. This has happened a handfull of times in the last 2 months. Antihistimine I think helps but I can't take the antihistimines they make me too drowsy. Also feels like someone poking me with pins in face. Just a tiny bit of the time when this happens. I have been checked before this for hormones , diabeties, iron , thyroid, all ok.

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

At this point, this could possibly be related to allergies. I think the allergy testing is a good idea. Also, you may ask the allergist about second generation antihistamines. These second generation antihistamines do not cross the blood-brain barrier the same way the first generations do, so they tend to have less of a drowsiness effect.

Now, with this being said, I think you should see your provider about this problem specifically. I say this for a couple of reasons. Some of your symptoms could also be a symptom of ear infection. An itchy ear and numbness can happen when a person has an ear infection. Also, you may have some underlying sinus issues that may require additional evaluation, such as sinus scans. Finally, since you are having numbness, your provider should do a complete neurological assessment. This assessment will help to determine if there is concern for possible underlying neurological problems.

I realize you recently went to your provider and everything was normal; however, I think these new symptoms warrant another visit.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also recently had an complete eye exam and there was nothing in that, and I was told that can reveal any tumors

Hello;

Thank you for responding. Yes, eye exams can sometimes detect increased intracranial pressure caused by tumors. Also, brain tumors usually present with seizure disorder or personality changes.

In your case, I would recommend neurological assessment just as a precaution. Although brain tumors can cause some similar symptoms, other neurological problems, such as inflammation and irritation of the facial nerve would be more common. Although I think you should still have a neurological assessment, which is easily done in the office, I would still suspect this may more likely be related to allergies, sinus, and/or ear disorder. However, it is always best to be cautious and have a thorough exam.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks , I didnt know a neurological assessment can be done in an office. My allergy test are on 17th and I guess they will tell me if they think it's something else. I did have a bad sinus infection in the spring and I have never had that before . When the numbness in my face comes on often I feel pressure in my sinus and sniffles. I have taken childs antihistimine when this happens and it takes away itchyness and the numbness I believe.It's just so weird when it happens that it freaks me out. I have just taken some about 15 minutes ago and it feels like its going away now.

Hello;

Thank you for responding.

With your history of sinus infection, itchy ear, numbness in the face, and some pressure, you could quite possibly have some bacterial infection of the sinuses or ear infection. I am not sure who is going to do your allergy testing, but, if this is not your primary provider, you may want to go in for a visit. You might need some antibiotics. I suspect you will be on antibiotic before this is all over with---just a hunch.

Lisa

Experience: Board Certified Family Nurse Practitioner