Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

how long would it take a pulmonary embolism, once symptomatic,

how long would it take a pulmonary embolism, once symptomatic, to become life threatening
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
   Once a PE (pulmonary embolism) develops, it usually becomes symptomatic and depending on the reason(s) as to why it developed - it could be lethal within minutes, sometimes hours - there truly is no way to tell. Please take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well the reason i ask is this

i was wondering how common it is for someone in their early twenty's to develop DVT or a pulmonary embolism??

i am a smoker, i DONT take birth control, havent been injured or had surgery or bed rest. the only time im inactive is when i am sleeping.

i've had lower leg pain on and off for 2 days now. my calves are equal in size and they arent hot or red.

i also have a on and off pain in my lower ribs cages on both side...and sometimes a back ache...
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
   VERY RARE - mainly the women I see with PE's are pregnant women - because pregnancy increases the thrombotic affect. Lower leg pain in a young person, especially at your age usually does NOT connote a DVT/PE with no risk factors - this is usually musculoskeletal.
I hope this helps, take care.