Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)

I have a rash on one side of my body only. It looks like hives

I have a rash on one side of my body only. It looks like hives but there are bumps as well. They don't appear to be filled with anything, just itchy and red. It's in a couple of places: under my arm, on my hip, and a few bumps on my stomach and leg. I'm afraid it may be shingles but will take a few days to get a doctor's appointment. Anything I can do in the interim?
Thank you
Marci A
You could be having shingles even though not very likely as the rash has a dermatomal distribution and is not so widespread. However, it is on one side of the body. The other possibilities include allergic hives or scabies. I would advise you to see a doctor as early as possible because antiviral medication is effective only if given early. You should avoid scratching as that could cause a secondary bacterial infection. Anti-histamines and topical creams can relieve the itching. If the pain is severe you can take pain killers. Keep the area clean with mild soap and water. Application of petroleum jelly can aid in healing. Apply cool tap-water compresses to weeping blisters for 20 minutes several times a day to soothe and help dry the blisters. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.