Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have a deep wheezing in my chest. It started out on 08/31/09

I have a deep wheezing in my chest. It started out on 08/31/09 as just a regular sinus infection with the nasal congestion and deep coughing. The congestion is gone but the coughing remains. It's not a constant cough but I do have a coughing fit about every 45 mins or so. When I lay down I get to where I feel as though I cant swallow because so much mucus is in my throat. I also wheeze very badly when I breathe in and out. When I do take a deep breath I cough horribly. I've taken MucinexD, store brand Sinus pills, Amoxicillin and drank Emergen-C but nothing seems to knock it out. It took away the nasal congestion but not the chest congestion or cough. When I am able to get some mucus up, out of my chest, it's not much. It's usually white or dark yellow. Very thick. What could this be? Could I take care of this myself or do I need to go to a doctor? My insurance has a large copay so I was trying to see if there is anything I can do myself before I go and spend all this money at the dr's

Do you have a history of asthma?
Do you have any fever?
Do you feel short of breath?
Do you smoke?
Do you have a history of heart disease? Diabetes?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No asthma, I run fever at night but I always have b/c of my stomach ulcers, I dont feel short of breath, I do smoke, I dont have a history of heart disease or Diabetes.
Thank you for the additional information..

Here are my thoughts and recommendations.

The wheezing concerns me. If you smoke and you are wheezing, I do think you would benefit from an inhaler and possibly some oral prednisone as well, especially if you are feeling any tightness in the chest.

I want to make sure, though, that it is deep wheezing, and not just a sound from phlegm in the throat causing a wheeze. If it is coming from the chest, I would recommend that you see your doctor.

Your doctor may be able to give you something stronger for your cough too, so you can get some sleep at night.

The cough itself tends to persist for 10-14 days, but you should be feeling better. Smoking will make it last longer, as it makes it more difficult to clear the mucus.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Dr Abby