Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

After having your appendix taken out, how long should you wait

After having your appendix taken out, how long should you wait before contributing in sporting activities such as golf and football? Keyhole surgery was performed.

I would recommend that you await 6-8 weeks after surgery before taking part in potential contact sports such as football, golf is also not a good idea due to the high involvement in abdominal muscles when you swing.

Although you should start mobilising with walking early, you should be slow to put tension on the abdominal muscles until everything is healed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wat about other duties such as lifting duties as this required for my occupation.
Heavy lifting also needs to be avoided, nothing heavier than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. Most employers will accomodate people with light duties in order to have more rapid return to work. Ensure that you use appropriate hoists/equipment etc when handling heavy objects once you return.