Dr.Chan
Dr.Chan, Physician
Experience:  Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992

i am having flashes of light in my left eye.ihad them first

i am having flashes of light in my left eye.ihad them first in nov. last year,had fundoscopy done which was normal.my eyesight is -5.25.these flashes disappeared for 3 months but came back again.now i have them on and off.i sometimes feel pain in my left eye as well and on and off headaches which is mostly frontal.iam very worried what is going on?ihad a slight change un my eyesight no. of left eye.but situation is still same .i use contact lenses.the situation gets a bit better if i use glasses instead of contact lenses.but i want to use contact lenses.what is going on and what should i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Chan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

How long do the flashes last? Do you see black things floating around also? What is your age? What other medical conditions do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the flashes last for about a second.seems like a light flash rotated in the eye.i do not see any black things floating around.iam 28 yrs old.i had PCOS diagnosed 6yrs back.sometimes the level of hormones gets disturbed.right now iam not using any medication.i have a history of prolonged and excessive sleep 6yrs ago .my EEG done showed ictal tendency towards the right parietal focus.the problem was resolved within 2 months slowly by itself although i donot know what does ictal tendency mean?but iam fine right now..nothing else..
Expert:  Dr.Chan replied 4 years ago.

There are two prominent causes of flashing in eyes.

One is migraines. These usually last 15-20 minutes and may or may not be followed by a headaches.

The second is a vitreous pulling or detachment. There is a gel inside the eye. As you age or if you are very near-sighted (which you are), sometimes the gel breaks up into little pieces. It can also pull and tug on the retina. When it does this, you will see a flash of light. The little pieces then sometimes float around and are called floaters. This process is harmless. However, as the gel tug on the retina, sometimes it tears the retina which can lead to a retinal detachment (which is a major problem requiring surgery). It sounds like you are just having the gel tug on the retina some. It sounds harmless, but I would have your eye checked to make sure the retina is OK (not urgent).

I hope this helps and thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
iam satisfied with your answer but i got my fundoscopy done in nov. last year.i was told my retina was fine.do i need followup checkups yearly?u did not answer why they improve with the use of spectacles.why there is pain in my left eye?is there any relationship of EEG i.e ictal tendency towards right parietal focus.this all is a part of previous question and i hope do not require any payment.
Expert:  Dr.Chan replied 4 years ago.

You do need exams every year, especially if the symptoms are new or returning.

I'm not sure that the pain in left eye is related to the flashing. It could be from allergies, sinus, contact lens irritation, or not perfectly corrected contact prescription. This may explain why the glasses relieve some symptoms if the contacts are irritating or not fully corrected (especially if you have some astigmatism).

As far as the ictal tendency, this would only make sense if it is located to the occipital area of the brain.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the useful information. my eyesight is as mentioned for right eye sph is -5.25,cyl is-1.00 and axis is 180.for left eye sph is-5.50,cyl is-0.50 and axis is 15 .since my glasses are thick so for my cosmetic reasons i like to use contact lenses.what do u recommend?i had mentioned about IpL in my question.could it be the cause of this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr.Chan replied 4 years ago.

What type of contacts are you wearing? There are newer more comfortable brands like Oasys or AO Aqua. If affordable, have you considered LASIK?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i mostly use bausch and lomb.can u suggest me some goodones or else what iam using is fine?
Expert:  Dr.Chan replied 4 years ago.

Bausch and Lomb is just the company name. They make many products. I'm not sure which you are using. They have the newest AO contacts that I think are the best. Acuvue also has Oasys that is pretty good too.

Dr.Chan, Physician
Experience: Practicing Medicine and Surgery since 1992