Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

49 years..I might be in perimenopause..started to get my periods later

I am 49 years old and female. I think I might be in perimenopause. I have started to get my periods later. and one time I went 58 days without one. This past month, when I was ovulating, I noticed a clear discharge with tiny specks of light blood, but nothing on my underwear or anything I needed a pad for. Then, today, I wiped and had blood on toilet paper with that same discharge, but nothing I need a pad for again. I have had some lower pelvic pain and back pain but no fever or vomiting, no changes in appetite. My last PAP in October of 2008 was normal, and I had an ultra sound In January that confirmed nothing but a possible adenomyosis. I also had an endometrial biopsy that was normal. I did have HPV 15 years ago, but had the LEEP procedure and have been fine since, however, in April I noticed a wart on my inner thigh. I had it excised, but it came back as genital wart. I am in a monogamous relationship with same partner for 13 years. Should I be concerned about these symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
From what you have told me including a endometrial biopsy - you have more than covered your bases and you are very much and most likely entering menopause. As an ob/gyn I would proceed no further. If you need something for menopausal symptoms such as moodiness, hot flashes, etc there are medications or herbal substances that you can use. Take care.