Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

What are your clinical feelings on phentermine for weight loss

Customer Question

What are your clinical feelings on phentermine for weight loss? I saw a doctor in Easton, MD who gave me a light physical and enough supply of Phentermine to take 1/2 a pill for two weeks and then he will see me to determine how I am doing and proceed from there...is this appropriate treatment?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.
Phentermine is a good weight loss drug when used under medical prescription.

Since your doctor has examined you and given this drug, it should be safe for you and work well.

However, you should be aware that the weight loss from weight loss drugs is usually temporary. Often the weight is regained as soon as the person stops taking the drug.

But in the short and medium term, it is quite useful.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much! My intentions were to use the drug to help curb cravings and hunger, while starting to control my calorie intake. Will changing my eating and drinking habits be enough to keep me from gaining the weight back once it is lost and how long is too long to be on phentermine? Once you go off of the drug is it safe to use again after a period of time if you feel you need to jump start weight loss again?
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.
Hello;

Thank you for writing in to justanswer.com. I noticed your posting and wanted to address these questions.

Unfortunately, weight lost while using phentermine can be easily regained if eating and drinking habits are not monitored. In particular, I would advise you to be very cautious when transitioning off of the drug. The drug will decrease the appetite; therefore, as you wean off of the drug, your appetite may return, and you will want to try and be very disciplined with your eating and drinking. Without making a cognizant effort to monitor consumption, some patient's will tend to overeat once the appetite returns.

Now, this drug should only be used for a short period of time. This is generally 3-4 months. This is necessary for a couple of reasons. Phentermine can be habit forming, so this reduces the risk. In addition, after a period of time, your body will likely adjust to the phentermine, and weight loss may stall after a few months.
After a break in treatment (1-2 months), the phentermine may be restarted if continued weight loss is needed. The break will allow enough time for the body to reset, if you will.   Then, once the phentermine is started again, the body will respond, with less of the tolerance, and weight loss will result. Generally, one to two cycles of phentermine should be sufficient to achieve significant weight loss. If longer treatment is necessary, this would be based on the individual's needs.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Lisa