Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

About two months ago I was told I do not have parkinsons

Customer Question

Hello: I am a 60 year old woman. I was diagnosed wirh parkinsons 13 years ago and was put on levedop and bromocriptine. About two months ago I was told I do not have parkinsons and to go off the meddddddddddddddication. I became very ill and ended up in the hospital. Can you give me a safe way to stop these medications. XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Hello, what were your original symptoms?

Who told you that you do not have Parkinson's Disease?

What symptoms took you into the hospital?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello: My original symptoms was a slight tremor in my left hand...A doctor asked me to waalk across the room and walk back,,                                    this was what he based his diagnosis on.. after slowly comimg off the medication, I suddenly st a rted shaking and vmiting. when I take this medicationm I can not wLK OR Tlk for about an hour
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Diagnosis of parkinson's disease is usually through observing a 'pill rolling tremor' at rest, and a specific type of gait. When you get used to taking the medication then it usually improves the symptoms for a short while before the tremor and walking problems occur again.

Can you be specific about your current dose of the medication?

Do you mean that when you take the medication (leevodopa and bromocriptine) you can not walk or talk at all?

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I take 5 lvedop dailu thre bromocriptine three times daily Yes, i can not walk and have difficulty talking
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Although we must not ignore the medication as a possible cause of your symptoms, it is also important that other causes of your symptoms are explored too. Have you seen a neurologist to rule out a stroke? I would suggest that you need a CT scan of the head.

With respect to the medication, if you do not need it (assuming that you do not have Parkinson's disease) then we would normally recommend stopping abruptly, and treat nausea etc with anti-emetics.

What examinations and tests have you had so far?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello: yes I have seen two neurologists, one in New Brunswiick and one in Ontario. I have had two ct and 2 mri. I was told that I must go off the medication slowly..               I have had no tests (just blood work and exrays)All my exrayys came back normal..The doctor told me if I have had parkinsons for10 years I would not be able to do the following: 1-I just came back from a 10 day trip to vancouver, by my self 2-I do all my own hosework 3- I walk two miles every day I run into trouble right after I take my medication