Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I am 31 years old and have recently had a high CPK that reached

I am 31 years old and have recently had a high CPK that reached 7000. I had a 500 cpk the prior week and did not work out for a few days. The following week I had to do a recheck. I did work out hard tuesday and wednesday and then jogged 2 miles thursday morning. Other than a deep tissue massage I didn't do too much different. The doctor called and said that I had to come in because I had a reading of 4700. I don't understand since I felt fine other than a little sore from the muscles that I worked out. Granted I hadn't worked out that hard in quite a while but still I had felt fine. Could sudden intense exercise and deep tisssue massage cause cpk to rise that high.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

Hello, do you take any medication?

Do you have any other medical problems or symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the only medicine that I take is 1 nexium every morning.
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.

A very high level does require further investigation as it indicates possible muscle damage, and although severe exercise may be responsible, I would suggest further tests to include thyroid function and inflammatory muscle disease.

Nexium is not a drug that we commonly associate with elevation of CPK

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The prior week my TSH was .05. The accepted range is .34 - 5.6. mys AST/SOGT was 32 in range and my ALT/SGPT was 55.

Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
I think that you will find your high level is linked to the low TSH. I would suggest that you now have free T3/T4 levels done to help clarify the thyroid issue. You may need examination or ultrasound of the thyroid gland.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHAT TYPE OF SPECIALIST SHOULD I LOOK FOR TO HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM. MY CURRENT DOCTOR DOESN'T SEEM TO BE TOO CONCERNED. I WAS ADMITTED TO A HOSPITAL FOR 3 DAYS WHILE THEY FLUSHED ME WITH IV FLUID. WHEN I GOT OUT MONDAY MY CPK HAD FINALLY DROPPED TO 1800. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND A DOCTOR MORE SPECIALIZED IN THIS FIELD.
Expert:  Pauline replied 4 years ago.
I would see an endocrinologist for the thyroid issues however the muscle enzyme issues may require an rheumatologist. Do make sure that you drink plenty of water to keep hydrated, especially when working out.
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.