Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

I just had a miscarriage at 10 weeks gestation about 5 days

I just had a miscarriage at 10 weeks gestation about 5 days ago(it was my third pregnancy). I have 2 healthy girls at home. I am Rh-ve and daddy is Rh+ve. This pregnancy was confirmed with ultrasound at 7 weeks(+urine and bloods). I had had very light intermittent brown spotting early in this pregnancy, that gradually became more frequent(daily for 2 weeks prior to the m/c). 3 days prior to the m/c the spotting became red, but still a small amount and occured once in 24 hours. The day of the m/c, the red began to flow(no cramping), and I went to Emerg. My bloodwork was fine + I got a Rhogam injection. I went home and passed the fetus after heavy bleeding and cramps(a change from when I was at Emerg). My question is; should I have sought medical advice when the brown spotting occured daily for more than 3 days? Is it likely that an earlier Rhogam shot could have prevented this m/c?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 7 years ago.
Hello Laula. Welcome to JA.

I understand what you are going through; although initially you had the symptoms of light bleed resembling "implantation bleeding", the increase in frequency and the continuation for twoweeks goes against it.

Implantation bleeding occurs around the expected date of menses but usually stops after a day or two. Look up this link.

Rh negative mothers blood can ge mixed with the fetus Rh positive blood only during miscarriage or trauma and the Rhogam injection is given within 72 hours of such an
incident. After that the body will have begun making its own antibodies and the Rhogam won't work. So, probably the miscarriage could have been prevented if your obstetrician had suspected an M/c.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.