Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

This question may sound crazy but it is really bothering me.

Customer Question

This question may sound crazy but it is really bothering me. About a year in a half ago I had a dental crown put on one of my mullers. The tooth is pretty bad underneath. Before the dentist put the crown on my tooth he dropped it 2 times on the floor. He rinsed it off with something but did not thoroughly clean it. I was wondering if Hepb, hepc, or hiv could live under the crown. My worry is if I ever have to get the crown taken off and tooth pulled could I contract one of the viruses. If the virus was living underneath the crown and if tooth pulled gums and socket would bleed and than virus get into blood stream. Thank you soo much for your time.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
The HIV or Hepatitis viruses cannot live under the crown outside body tissues, for too long (few hours to 1-2 days). So in your case, there is no reason to worry. Also it is unlikely for you to get infection from crown dropped on floor.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the cirus was touching my gums would that be considered body tissue?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
It can be considered a contact that can transmit a virus. But the main issue here is that a crown dropped on floor and later cleaned with anti-septic is unlikely to be carrying any of these viruses.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess my main question is if it were to infect me would have it already of happened? If it did not infect me is there any chance in the future If I were to get that tooth taken out and it were to bleed. I have heard that in syringes the viruses can live for a long time and since a crown is sealed and airtight I was not sure if a virus could live for like a long time. I am going to get tested to make sure because I am worried and wanted to make sure if there was a virus it would still not be breeding under my crown
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
If you were to be infected from the crown, it would have already been happened. Any further manipulation or instrumentation of this area will not result in increased risk of infection due to the previous intense of crown falling on the floor etc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A couple of weeks after that happened I started going to a new dentist. The new dentist had to take the crown off of the tooth because it did not fit right. He also built up my regular tooth that was underneath the crown. Is there any way that Hepatitis or hiv could be living between the part he built up since it was only a couple of weeks after the fallen on floor crown incident. Is there any possible way for Hep or hiv to still be alive underneath crown or in tooth? Thank you soo much because this really scared me.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
It is not possible for the virus to be surviving in the crown or tooth all this time, without actually infecting you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So if there was a virus it would now be dead (hepatitis or hiv) if I have not been infected? Have you been in the health field for a very long time?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Yes, if there were any hiv or hepatitis virus, and you were not infected, it would be dead. I have been in the health field for over 15 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last question. Do you have a lot of experience with Hiv and Hepatitis?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I believe I have enough experience to be able to give you the above advise. If you are unsure, you can relist your question as a new question and ask for a second opinion.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it is not that I am doubting you I just wanted to make sure you had experience on this topic. If you do that is great! Do you think someone else would give me the same answer? Thank you for all of your time today.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Its okay. I will opt out, so another expert may look at your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you are sure on your answer qhy would you opt out?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I am sure of my answer. But from your last comment "Do you think someone else would give me the same answer?", it appeared to me that you wanted a second opinion from another expert on the site. So thats why I opted out. If you don't need another opinion, its fine, and you can accept this answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome!