Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

echocardiogram 3 months ago, because of persistent tachycardia

Hi, Im a 21 yr old female. I just got the report for my echocardiogram faxed over to me. I received this echocardiogram 3 months ago, because of persistent tachycardia. On the report it says trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation. Is this something a normal heart can have? What does it mean in terms of heart health? Everything else on the report came out normal. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.
Hello!

The term regurgitation with regard to a heart valve means that when it closes it does not seal completely shut and there is some back flow of blood through the valve. This apparently affects three of the four valves in your heart. The tricuspid valve separates the right atrium from the right ventricle.The pulmonary valve separates the right ventricle from the pulmonary artery. The mitral valve separates the left atrium from the right ventricle. The fact that it is only trace amounts of regurgitation means that it is not clinically significant. Your heart should still function fine. It would be prudent to have a follow up echocardiogram in two years.

I hope this information is helpful for you. Follow up questions are welcome if you have any.

If my answer has been helpfuland to your satisfaction then please press the "ACCEPT" button so that I may get paid for my work.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I also noticed a note on the back that says Left Ventricle-Diastole: The Doppler derived transmitral left ventricular inflow velocity pattern is E wave dominant. Early diastolic deceleration time is prolonged at 268 msec. The overall diastolic pattern is o ne of normal left ventricular relaxation and filling pressures. Could you please explain this if possible?
Hi again!

Sure I'll be happy to convert to English! Diastole is the relaxation phase of the ventricles of the heart. (As opposed to the contraction phase.) So the left ventricle begins the diastolic phase as it finishes its contraction which pushes the blood into the aorta. If the early diastolic deceleration phase is prolonged then this might indicate a relatively large ventricle. The description of normal relaxation and filling pressures are indicative of a healthy heart. By contrast if you had abnormal relaxation with elevated filling pressures then this would be consistent with the sort of changes that we see with long standing hypertension.The high blood pressure over time will thicken the muscle of the ventricle and would cause the filling pressure to be abnormally high.

I hope this helps.Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help. The report notes on the back said that my left and right ventricular wall thickness is normal. The left ventricular psterior wall measurement was .68 cm. So do you know why the deceleration phase might be prolonged if I don't have cardiomyopathy or high blood pressure? Should I be concerned about this, because my biological father died from Wolff Parkinsons White at 25 (which I don't have).Thanks for the continued help.
Hi again!

I think that the important thing is that your heart is normal except the mild valvular regurgitation. The hemodynamic parameters are not going to be identical between individuals. I would not attach too much significance to the prolonged deceleration phase. Other parameters were normal and the overall picture is normal which is what I think the main point is. This is unrelated to WPW as this is an electrical abnormality that leads to supraventricular tachycardia.A relatively small area of the open mitral valve might be a cause of a prolonged diastolic early filling. Again the overall picture is normal although there are low grade or marginally abnormal findings in the details.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you should have any.

Thank you and Best Wishes,

Anthony Bray MD