Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I have had intestinal cramping and pain, and on and off diarrhea

I have had intestinal cramping and pain, and on and off diarrhea it comes and goes through out the day, this has been going on for 2 weeks now. It gets bad through the night. I feel tired and weak. They did all the test for parasites and gardeia and ecoli all negative. I am very puzzled what could this be. Not going away just think feeling better and then it hits again by something I eat or just out in the sun to long, the funny thing is my husband has had the same thing for 2 weeks too, what should we do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Valarie replied 7 years ago.

Your symptoms, especially since both you and your husband are affected, are likely due to a viral infection. Some viral intestinal infections can last up to 10 days. It is not a good idea to take Imodium for this. It's much better to let the virus run its course. Also, probiotics is OK, but sometimes dairy products are not good when you have this kind of diarrhea.

Try a very bland diet for a few days. Chicken, crackers, rice, bananas, toast, potatoes. Drink plenty of clear fluids to stay hydrated and help your intestinal tract heal. Avoid caffeine, milk products, spicy foods. Low sodium or homemade soup is wonderful.

If your diarrhea and cramping does not clear within another week, or your develop nausea/vomiting, fever, or blood in your stools, you should see your doctor right away for testing to rule out bacterial or parasitic infection.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
valarie, the tests have already been done for parasits and ecoli and gardia,all came up negative for them, and still having hot sweats and cramping and not so much diarehha any more once a day just bad cramping and pain through admonnen and up through stomach and right side. My husband the same.
Expert:  Valarie replied 7 years ago.

Then I would say your infection is related to a viral infection that is being particularly stubborn. Try stopping the imodium. If you want to take something for the diarrhea, you can use a fiber supplement powder with a little less water mixed into it than the label directions say to use. This will give your intestinal tract some bulk and fiber to work on, and might be soothing. There are several different ones you can get OTC. I prefer metamucil (generic is psyllium powder) just because it provides more fiber in a smaller amount. It may cause some minor gas and bloating at first, but should sooth the cramping and add some bulk to the stools.

Its a good sign the diarrhea is abating. The cramping should stop soon also.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My grandkids are coming up for labor day and next week, from utah, can they get this or do you think were okay? they are two years old. I am really concerned for them, my son rented a cabin and will all be together for 4 days.
Expert:  Valarie replied 7 years ago.

Viral gastroenteritis is contagious, however if you make sure to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water after using the bathroom and before handling foods, dishware, or eating utensils they will be OK. The virus is spread by contaminated food or items entering the mouth.

Also, when cleaning up, and for cleaning the bathroom you can use a solution of bleach and water (1 part bleach to 10 parts water). Wipe down all surfaces in both areas at least twice a day (or after use).