A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

she recently had an MRSA that infected her lymph nodes on her neck

Hi, I have a 2 year old and she recently had an MRSA that infected her lymph nodes on her neck. We saw an infectious disesase specilist and she was put on clindamyocin for 10 days. My husband brought it home to the house. Since then the lymph node had shrinked about 90 percent as is soft. Is it ok it is still there but soft and a lot smaller? She has a couple other lymph nodes in that area but are all soft and movable. This happened after she has the infection. The pediatrician said its ok as long as they dont get big again. She said they might never completely go away because they were infected. Is this correct or should I be doing something else? Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. The job of lymph nodes is to filter lymph fluid, removing old cells and debris from an infection. They get larger in this process. Sometimes they will be overwhelmed and become infected themselves. Once the entire infection is cleared, it can take weeks for the size to go back to normal. Eventually (over a period of weeks to months) your daughter's cervical lymph nodes should go back to normal size so that you hardly feel them, and you certainly shouldn't see any swellling. The only time they would stay larger permanently is if scar tissue formed within them during the infection, which probably isn't very likely. There is nothing more that you should be doing for her, but do remember that it can take a long time for them to go back to normal. Also don't be alarmed if she gets a throat infection or cold if the nodes swell again, as this is normal any time there is an infection or inflammation in the area a node drains.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your reply..that is exactly what happened..the MRSA caused the lymph node to get infected and form an abcess...the abcess is gone and the lymph node is about 90 percent can not even see if unless you feel for it..the other lymph nodes the the area are also not noticible unless you feel..It has only been about 2 and a half weeks..I just wanted another opinion because I have been a crazy worrier mommy!!

All mommies are crazy worriers; it's part of the "mommy package." You don't need to obsess about this though. She will gradually get better, and you probably won't be able to feel anything in another 4-6 weeks. Give her a hug for me.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you sooo much!! You were very helpful!! Have a great day!:)