Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

periods..bleeding..tampons..always had severe cramps & PMS symptoms

I am 38 y.o. & I started having periods at age 11; from the start they were always very heavy (bleeding 7 to 8 days & having to change pads or tampons several times a day) but regular. I also had always had severe cramps & PMS symptoms. I also became anemic to the point where I needed to have iron shots. After one (my only) pregnancy and birth (at age 21), symptoms improved; I had very little pain & lighter bleeding for several years. Eventually though, my symptoms grew worse again. I saw a dr. in 2007 who told me I had adenomyosis. I had endometrial ablation, which helped some. The other day, I started bleeding heavily a week after my period & had severe cramps (felt like labor pains). The ER doc said I have polyps but didn't know what else was going on. My GP put me on birth control pills, but I still have pain & I am thinking about hysterectomy. I already had tubal ligation so having kids isn't an issue, but I also don't want surgery if it's not needed. Any advice? Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Adenomyosis - if this is what you have, only a hysterectomy will actually help you, and since you do not want more children, I would advise to get the hysterectomy. Take care.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Do you think it would be worthwhile to try the birth control pills for a while and just deal with the pain as much as possible (I've been given prescription pain killers but I don't want to get into the habit of taking those as a way to 'mask' the problem). But if I can avoid major surgery, I'd prefer to do that as well, of course. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If you do have adenomyosis then birth control pills will only work for a bit and the bleeding AND the pain will actually worsen. And, since you do not want more children - the decision for a hysterectomy is most likely there. Also, to see if you have adenomyosis as a possibiliy, a MRI can sometimes make that diagnosis and help make your decision. Take care
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. :)