Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I am 24. I have used ProActive Acne treatment for 2 years just

I am 24. I have used ProActive Acne treatment for 2 years just because it made my skin look good. I did not have any acne at that time. After that last year I started having a red patch on forehead. Derms gave me several creams. The steroid cream worked but I have to stop after 3 weeks because I got a lot of raised bumps and subsequently some acne on my entire face. Also bleackheads etc came. It looked like skin layers were developing on the top of bumps. My forehead skin became very rough also. Current Derm gave me Differin cream for clearing them. I have used it for 4 months. Now I see skin thinning on my face. And veins showing around eyes and eye lids. I have stopped using it 1 month back. I am very scared to do anything now. Is my only option just wait and see what happens?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Did the Differin cream helped with the skin lesions?

Do you still have acne?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

These are not lesions.
Actually the skin problem is clogged pores. Diffirin cream kind of helped to remove some top layers on some parts of the face. Still have clogged pores.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Okay, since the main problem is clogged pores, the mainstay of treatment would be acne treatment in the form of cream or oral medications. Since Differin has helped somewhat, you may also discuss oral Accutane treatment which is more effective and potent. However this is not an option for you if there is any chance that you may become pregnant in near future. Another option is antibiotics like Biaxin. Topical retinoids like Avita are alternatives to Differin and can be combined with antibiotics. So you should discuss these options with your dermatologist.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Now I see skin thinning on my face. And veins showing around eyes and eye lids. I have stopped using Diffirin1 month back. I am very scared to do anything now. Is my only option just wait and see what happens?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
It is difficult to tell about the skin thinning without an examination. Visible veins may not necessarily mean skin thinning. This could be a side effect of Differin as well. So if this is the case, discontinuation of the cream and wait and watch approach would be appropriate.
Regards.
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it reversible? The skin thinning and visible veins?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is it reversible? Is the skin thinning/visible veins will go away if I stop Diffirin. How long it may take?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Yes, skin thinning and prominent veins caused creams would be reversible, and it may take 6 to 8 weeks for the improvement to occur.
Dr. Singh, Doctor