Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

nail on my big toe growing into the skin on the left side..toe

Two weeks ago, I had a piece of nail on my big toe growing into the skin on the left side. I cut the nail out, but have been left with a painful, red, puffy area of skin to the left of my toe. I have been doing epsom salt soaks twice daily, and the redness has diminished somewhat, but it hurts to wear shoes or walk much. There is still a slight amount of puffiness that extends over the nail. I have a podiatrist appointment scheduled for Friday. Should I keep the appointment, or am I on the mend? I've never had an ingrown toenail before, so I have no idea how it's supposed to look when it's healing.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
The symptoms you describe are not out of line for normal healing process of ingrown toenail. Although I would still recommend going to the podiatrist or a physician for an examination. Occasionally the swelling may increase due to abscess formation, in which case, oral antibiotics may be required. So you should continue with Epsom salt soaking and see a doctor for an exam soon.