Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

Can you help me figure out what my diagnosis means for me

Can you help me figure out what my diagnosis means for me? MY Blood Platelets were low below 33,000, after all the blood and bone marrow tests, the Hemotologist said I have ITP, From the report from Genoptix MEd LAb: "Mildly hypocellular marrow (~30%). with trilineage hematopoiesis, no morphologic, immunophenotypic, karyotypic or FISH evidence of a Neoplasm. " ( I just turned 50-male) In the comprehensive assessment it adds "FISH abnormalities are seen in only ~50% of MDS cases and a negative result does not exclude the possibility of a myelodysplastic syndrome. Given the Thrombocytopenia, marrow megakaryopoiesis appears appropiately increased. Additionally the predominantly mature neutrophilia with prominent toxic granulation favors a reactive process. The combination of of a reactive neutrophilia and thrombocytopenia is most frequently seen in sepsis and can be seen in microangiopathic hemolytic anemias as well.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

I would like to help you with figuring out what your diagnosis means.

Your diagnosis of ITP or Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura simply means that your doctor has excluded all of the nasty possibilities for why you have low platelets.

ITP is actually a much better diagnosis than many of the other conditions which result in low platelets. "Idiopathic" means that there is no particular cause of your condition which medical science can identify and that it is not due to some serious disease process.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX report from Genoptix, "Mildly hypocellular marrow (~30%). with trilineage hematopoiesis, no morphologic, immunophenotypic, karyotypic or FISH evidence of a Neoplasm. ", means that there does not appear to be any evidence of the cellular changes associated with cancer. So it looks like you do not have cancer, which is very good news.

And the other part,

"FISH abnormalities are seen in only ~50% of MDS cases and a negative result does not exclude the possibility of a myelodysplastic syndrome. Given the Thrombocytopenia, marrow megakaryopoiesis appears appropiately increased. Additionally the predominantly mature neutrophilia with prominent toxic granulation favors a reactive process. The combination of of a reactive neutrophilia and thrombocytopenia is most frequently seen in sepsis and can be seen in microangiopathic hemolytic anemias as well."

means that this particular test does not give the whole story, it just gives one clue as to your diagnosis.

From what you have said, all of the "clues" you have given your doctor so far including your medical interview, physical examination, and diagnostic studies add up to the diagnosis of ITP.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Dr.David
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SO i didn't have room for the rest of it, but the Hemotologist is also giving me IV Drip Rituxan, I have had 2 treatments so far, and have 2 more to go. She said that in addition to being a cancer drug, it has been helpful in improving platelet counts, after the first treatment they went up from 66 to 73,000.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.
That's good news. I'm glad to hear that your numbers are going up.

I wish you the best!

Dr.David