Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

the results of my recent brain MRI & orbital MRI scan show

the results of my recent brain MRI & orbital MRI scan show mild patchy deep white matter change consistent with small vessel ischaemic disease. could you please explain this to me is it serious and what changes ought i to make.Rae Tuffen
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
White matter change is a very common finding on an MRI scan.
These changes are seen in patients who have/have had hypertension, stroke, migraine headaches, or other medical conditions.

These changes are thought to be the long-term effects of atherosclerosis which cause less blood flow in these brain regions.
Less blood flow means that the brain tissue can be irreversibly injured which is referred to as ischemic injury.

This is effect on the brain of having risk factors such as hypertension or diabetes etc.

These changes accumulate slowly over time and the brain is able to compensate so that no function is lost.
You should discuss these reports with your doctor as well for further management .