Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

On Friday Aug 31 I awoke with a pain near the joint of my hip

On Friday Aug 31 I awoke with a pain near the joint of my hip that increased over the next 24 hours. I went to the Emergency Room, received a shot of Morphine which allowed me to rest. I am now taking Flexaril, Percocet, Prednisone,and ibuprophen- all for pain and to reduce swelling. The hip now feels fine, but there is a numbness on the inside of my left thigh and knee. What is the best action to take next; continue to take the meds and hope for complete recovery or to see an orthopedic surgeon?
if you hav enumbness and tingling... you should start taking neurontin / lyrica. it will be good to get a re-visit trhe doctor. the numbness and tingling is from the nerve compression probably in the back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So the specialist I should see would be a spinal specialist and not a hip specialist?
you can see a neurologist or your primary doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just one more follow-up question. is this likely the sciatic nerve on the inside of the thigh?
i would need an aceept before i answer any further follow up questions.
this is unlikely to be sciatic nerve as that will cause nerve pain like electric current running down the leg below the knee. in your case it seems to be a local nerve compression.