R Makaza
R Makaza, Doctor
Experience:  Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB)with Honours in Surgery. 7 years experience.

Hi there, Im now 31 and used to be underweight but over

Hi there,

I'm now 31 and used to be underweight but over the past 2 years I've put on 2 stone and am at my healthy weight (I've checked my BMI).

Although I'm still slim I've develloped a double chin which looks really out of proportion with the rest of me as I'm a size 10 and sometimes still fit into size 8 clothes.

Do you think this is normal as I see women who are much bigger than me all the time and who don't have this problem.

The thing is I don't want to end up underweight again in order to lose the double chin but it seems that I have to be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there

One can not always predict the distribution of any fat gained by the body. From what you have described this sounds entirely normal to me. This is just the way your body has deposited some of the weight you have gained.

However If you are really unhappy about the way your chin looks and are not happy about loosing the weight you have at the moment the suggestion I would give is for you to discuss available options like laser or ultra sound cosmetic surgery with your GP. These procedures will target the areas you want reshaped by dissolving the underlying fat.

I hope you found this information helpful and if that is the case please click ACCEPT

Thank you