Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

Ive had itching and redness around the hairline of my vagina and anus

For the past few months I've had itching and redness around the hairline of my vagina and anus. It is usually at night and sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night. I don't wear underwear to bed and the itching seems to be accompanied by extra moisture or "sweating" around the vagina. I have been to the gynocologyst and I do not have any std's or infections. Please help!!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
It looks you are having infestation with pin worms.Actually the pin worms are parasites that live in intestine.At night their female lay eggs near anus and hence wxtreme itching occursin anal and also in vaginal area.Apparently you find no rash no infection.
The treatment is taking tab Albendazole three times a day for 2 days.
Plz also see this link:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think it is pinworms because the itching is mostly in the vaginal area primarily around the hairline and is very very red. I will look into the pinworm treatment (is it okay if you use it and you never had it in the first place?) but do you have any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
There is no harm in taking pinworm treatment but you can go for stool examination first.
If you think that it is not pinworms infection then second most common is having some allergy to some kind of cloths or to any chemicals contained in detergents used for washing.It should also be checked.However most commonly it is due to some infection like fungal and better a high vaginal swab was taken and analysed.