Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

About a week before my period starts i am having large amounts

About a week before my period starts i am having large amounts of brown discharge coming out of me only when i urinate or have sexual intercourse, it does not smell or hurt and looks like old blood this is not the first time it has happened i have been tested for infections which came up negative but no-one can give me an explanation it is embarassing and not normal

This is old blood residual from your previous period. It is common for this to be shed just prior to the next period, although usually it is just a day or two before the main period.

As long as there is no strong odor or yellow/green discharge then I would not be too concerned about this. Do make sure that you attend your smears regularly.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had a smear test about 6 months ago and the results were inconclusive so i got told to have another one in 6 months which i am about to book now should i be worried about cervical cancer then with these symptoms?

It is common to have inconclusive results with a smear so do not be too alarmed about this. Usually this means there was insuffucient cells taken at the time. I would be more concerned if you were having frank red bleeding after intercourse every time.

Do repeat your smear test.