Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a pain in the center of my stomach and lower abdomen

I have a pain in the center of my stomach and lower abdomen after eating somtimes, a hard time digesting my food, and a boating feeling after eating, also sometimes after a loose bowel movement, I get a strange feeling of shortness of breath straight up from the stomach to my nostrils where they, become stuffy, so you have an answer for these problems if you do thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have no medical coverage of any kind Brent.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Since how long are you symptoms?

Do you have heart burn, reflux, nausea, gas?

What are the treatment tried?

Any previous significant medical or surgical illness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my syptoms started about 6 weeks ago, yes I have some heartburn at times, nausea and gas, the only thing that helps is mallox so far, I have never had a previous with my stomach like this, and this strange feeling I get after a loose bowel movement, concerns me where it goes straight up from my stomach to my nostrils and I get a stuffiness in my nose, and sometimes a tingling feeling in my gums and lips, I hope I;ve helped you some, thanks Brent.

Hello Brent,

I am sorry for this delay. This page was not opening up. Your symptoms are highly suggestive of gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD). GERD may need further evaluation in the form of camera examination (endoscopy), esophageal manometry (food pipe pressure study) and pH study of the food pipe (esophagus). Treatment of GERD is by avoidance of reflux-inducing foods (fatty foods, chocolate), eating three meals a day without snacking, avoidance of meals for two to three hours before lying down (except for medications), elevation of the head of the bed and an H2 antagonist or a proton pump inhibitor. Relief after Maalox further reinforces it. The other possibilities are;

1) peptic ulcer disease

2) hiatus hernia

The treatment is more or less same for all these conditions. You may continue taking Maalox and add an acid blocker like Prilosec (this is available over the counter). The loose bowel are likely due to the irritable bowel syndrome or diverticulosis. The dietary modifications for the IBS and diverticulosis are in these resources;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun