Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

Over the past 5 years I have experienced probably a dozen times,

Over the past 5 years I have experienced probably a dozen times, a tingling sensation and slight soreness around my vagina and at the same time my husband gets a rash and his penis is tender for a few days. this happens a few days before my period but it has not happened for about 9 months until this week. I have been prescribed HRT a couple of months ago and wonder a) could this be the cause of the reoccurance b) what else could it be.

I have regular pap smears and last year had an examination and swabs taken by the GP who could find nothing wrong with either of us

Please help, it is very frustrating because you dread having intercourse in case if flares up and I really thought it had gone until this week.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 7 years ago.
Probably your symptoms are due to vaginitis .
Vaginitis is often associated with an irritation or infection of the vulva.
? Infectious vaginitis ? Yeast Infection.

Hormonal vaginitis includes atrophic vaginitis .

Irritant vaginitis can be caused by allergies to condoms, spermicides, soaps, perfumes, douches, lubricants and semen.

As such you need to be seen by an Obs/Gyn doctor for further diagnosis and management .
If atrophic vaginitis is suspected by your doctor topical estrogen cream may be prescribed to you .