Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

The doctor says I have enlarged lymph nodes in my armpit. I

The doctor says I have enlarged lymph nodes in my armpit. I have had them for over 10 years now. What are the changes that this could be lymphoma ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear SRk,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

Did you have any investigation?

do you have fever, weight loss, anorexia, vomitting?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Doctor

I dont have any other symptoms. I think they have been enlarged (lower half of the armpit) for more than 10 years. My doctor just chanced upon it during a regular breast check-up. I went to take a mammogram - it turned out okay. But the doctor is still insisting on cytology of the enlarged lymph nodes in the armpit.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear rrkg,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such enlarged lymph nodes.The common ones are infection, abscess, cancer, immune disorders, skin infection, hodgkin and non-hodgkin lymphoma, etc.

The chances of infectious cause are less since you do not have any symptoms and it is for a long time for many years.The breast cancer has already been screened by mammography.

You should rule out the other causes and have the relevant investigations done like blood counts, FNAC/biopsy of the lymph nodes, licer and chest ct scan, etc. to know the associated abnormality.

The lymphoma should be ruled out as it may occur at any age.The lymphoma is the most common type of blood cancer in the United StatesThe non-hodgkin lymphoma usually occurs at older age.The incidence of lymphoma is approx 1 in 4466 people in US.

Please visit here for more information

incidence of lymphoma

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Agree - I will go for a cytology to rule out disorder. But I am just feeling that since I havent had any symptoms for more than 10 years - this going for test will be stressful.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear SRK,

Thank you for the enquiry,

The symptoms of lymphoma are pain swelling of the lymph nodes.The non specific symptoms like weight loss, fever, itching may also occur in some cases.

You do need to have the cyctology done for the timely diagnosis and treatment.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!