Dr J Burk
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

hysterectomy..Extreme pain and lack..hormone..blood clots in the women

Customer Question

Is there life after a hysterectomy? Extreme pain and lack of linterest has resulted in the total break down of my sex life. My doctor has prescribed no hormone treatments because of a history of blood clots in the women in my family. What about bio-identical hormone treatments?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Are you able to tell me some more about your problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About 5 years ago I went in for an annual check and my doctor found some kind of mass during my pabst smear. Went for a couple of more check ups, had a biobsy of my uterus. Everything was normal but because of heavy bleeding (they decided the mass was a blood clot), they decided a complete hysterectomy was in order. Big mistake...life changing and not for the good. Complications durning surgery resulted in my bladder being torn, got infection with the catheter and ended up taking longer to heal than normal. Intercourse became so painful that it was impossible to have penetration. Of course there was also no desire on my part. My doctor decided against any hormone treatments because of blood clot issues in the women in my family. I am having a hard time living with no sex life.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Wow

That is a disaster.

So you have low libido plus you find intercourse painful?

Are you married ? What has your husband said on the matter?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, at the time I was married. My husband was patient and loving and we worked at satisfying his needs in ways other than intercourse. He never said but I know he missed the intimacy that only intercourse can bring, as I did. But, tragically he died in a farming accident 10 months after my hysterectomy. So why am I worried about my sex life now? Because after 4 years I have met someone who I would like to have a relationship with. Maybe I'm wrong but I am guessing he wouldn't be as patient and understanding as my husband of 34 years was. Even though I just turned 60 yesterday doesn't mean that I don't want an active sex life. Should I just try serious hormone therapy, even though my doctor is concerned about blood clots?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

I am sorry to hear that.

Have you discussed these issues with the new man in your life?

At 60 years I would say a resounding no to HRT - there is no reason to expect it to improve your symptoms plus if you take it beyond 50 years of age it is a risk factor for breast cancer.

I would agree with you 100% about having a good health life age 60+.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I haven't discussed it with him. I find talking about intimacy issues to be very difficult but it doesn't look like I am going to have any other recourse. I'm getting the feeling that there isn't life after a hysterectomy.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

The problem that I have is that while there is without question many things that ay help you we really need to know how you "function" at the present time.

If you were my patient I would advise you to speak to your partner and try as gently as possible to make love, then speak to me with the "results."

Do you have access to a Dr who you can confide in about these matters?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have an appointment with my nurse/practitioner next week for a long over due annual physical and I do intend to discuss this issue with her. However, I discussed it many times with her before my husbands death and the cremes and enhancement stuff she suggested did nothing. Then my husband died and it was a moot point. I will ask her again about seeing an ob-gyn.
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

I am not convinced that seeing an Obgyn ( who caused the problem in the first place) would be your best course of action..........

Dr Jef

Please feel free to get back to me about this at any time.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, if not an obgyn what do you suggest? Are there no medical miracles here?....So I should just forget about intercourse and get on with the rest of life?
Expert:  Dr J Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

No not at all.

I just think that you would be better served by a sympathetic PCP.

I also feel quite strongly that it would be most helpful to your Dr to know what problems you have now when you try and have intercourse,

I absolutely want you to enjoy a fulfilling sex life!

Dr Jef
Dr J Burk, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS MRCGP
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I don't feel it is totally hopeless, now.

Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.
<p>Hello;</p><p> </p><p>I came across your posting and wanted to share some information.   I think Dr. Burk has provided you with some great insight.   I would have to agree with the "NO" regarding HRT.   However, I do want to add another possible option. </p><p> </p><p>Your complaints regarding painful intercourse are common. When the body loses estrogen, the vagina changes. Tissues atrophy and become dry when estrogen is lost.   Some women benefit from vaginal estrogen creams or estrogen rings.   Generally, this type of medication is tolerated in older women, because the estrogen effect is localized. With this type of estrogen replacement, there is limited systemic effect; therefore, there is less risk of clotting problems and side effects.   With a vaginal application or ring of estrogen, the vaginal tissue may respond with less atrophy and dryness. This can make sex less painful and more pleasurable.   Although a lack of libido can be a bigger, systemic issue, having less painful and more pleasurable intercourse can actually cause an improvement in your libido. </p><p> </p><p>I thought I would mention this option. Please feel free to discuss this option and the options presented by Dr. Burk with your provider. </p><p> </p><p>Ms. Lisa</p>