Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

past few months has been having an ache under my arms..PMS..underarm

Customer Question

I am a 42 year old woman that for the past few months has been having an ache under my arms.
It seems to come with the onset of other PMS symptoms but lingers well after my period ends. So
I am having this ache in one underarm or the other for most of the month. I have a history of cancer in my family and am worried that this could be a sign of breast cancer of hodgkins disease (which my mother had in her early 40's.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.

The possible causes for armpit pain include

Swelling in the lymphatic glands in the armpit and breast area

A pull of the Pectoralis muscle which then irritates the ribs underneath.

Shaving too close to the root, or beauty products may also cause a severe allergic reaction.

As you have family history of cancer so it is very essential to rule out the underlying cancerous pathology .

As such you need to undergo a clinical examination of armpits and breast and investigations like ESR, mammogram for further evaluation.

Breast tenderness can be caused due to PMS as well.

I suggest you to consult your regular doctor for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The answer is somewhat expected, however it does help me know what kind of exam to ask for when for when I visit my Dr.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for using