Dr. S Riaz
Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)
14102772

My eye lids are swollen and area around them are puffed every

My eye lids are swollen and area around them are puffed every morning. This has been going on for a month. Recent visit to eye doctor with cleansing solution and eye drop and medicine for water retention is not helping. What is probability for this condition?
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.

I would like to ask a few questions.

First, what kind of eye drops did the doctor prescribe?

Are your eyes also reddened and/or itchy?

Have you had seasonal or food allergies?

Do you have any current medical conditions and are you on any other medications?

Please let me know and perhaps I can be of help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Eye drop is PatanolTM Olopatadine hydrochloride 0.1%
Its itchy and scaly around the eyes
No known seasonal or rood allergies
not on any medications
Expert:  Dr. S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
There are 2 possibilities in your case. First one is allergic conjunctivitis for which you have been prescribed Patanol. Lubricant eye drop like Refresh Tears should also be used 4 times a day. In addition to allergic conjunctivitis, you could also be having meibomitis which could be adding to your problems. Meibomitis is inflammation of meibomian glands present on the lid margins. It is extremely common. It is very commonly missed by the doctors. I am an eye surgeon myself and know it. You should hot fomentation at bed time and also massage your lids with tetracycline ointment. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is hot fomentation>
By hot fomentation, I mean hot compresses. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do lid infection results in puffiness around the cheek areas as well. I have high cheek bone. How sure are you that this swell and puffiness do not indicate a more severe medical problems involving the liver or kidneys?
Inadequate sleep and drinking alcohol also causes lid swelling. Allergy too can cause puffiness. Among serious diseases which cause lid swelling are heart and liver failure. Other signs of failure of these diseases are also present which cause suspicion and then kidney function tests etc can be done to confirm it. History such as diabetes of long duration, known heart disease etc is also present. If you have any such problems, you should see a physician. Thanks.

Dr. S Riaz, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MS from KGMU, India (one of the best medical colleges in India)