Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

How does the reproductive system interact with and support

How does the reproductive system interact with and support the urinary system?

I would like to help you with your question concerning the reproductive system interacting with and supporting the urinary system.

In the human body, these two systems are so intimately connected that they are often referred to with one name the genitourinary system.

There is a difference between males and females, so I will cover each individually.

In men, the urinary tract and the reproductive system share many of the same physical structures. Urine is produced in the kidneys, travels down the two ureters, and is stored in the bladder. The urethra connects the bladder to the prostate gland and the the prostate gland with the penis and the meatus.

The male reproductive system consists of the testes, spermatic cords, prostate, urethra , and the meatus. Sperm produced in the testes travels through the cords to the prostate and out the meatus by way of the urethra.

The two systems meet and interact at the prostate gland. The prostate gland has three tubes coming into it (the urethra from the bladder and the two spermatic cords) and one tube leaving it (the urethra going to the penis). The reproductive system supports the urinary system by way of a healthy prostate. The prostate produces fluids that lubricate the urethra and keep it free of disease so that it can function normally during urination. Any infection or inflammation of the urethra due to sexual difficulties will prevent normal urination.

In women, the urinary system and reproductive tract are in very close proximity. The wall of the bladder forms one wall of the vaginal canal. The urethra and the meatus share practically the same tissues with the clitoris, clitoral hood, and vulva. In addition, the female reproductive tract includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and uterus which are all very closely connected to the bladder.

In women, the hormones produced by the ovaries and uterus have a great affect on the functioning of the urethra and bladder. Estrogen and progesterone have an influence on the tissue tone of the urethra and bladder and support their proper functioning. When these hormones are present in the proper amounts and proportions, then the urinary tract works normally. Post-menopausal women and women with hormonal imbalances can experience urinary problems as a result of this.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.