Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

I have sudden swelling on right side of face below my ear

I have sudden swelling on right side of face below my ear extending to my jaw and neck. tender to the touch. it is a saturday. is this urgent or can i wait to call my doctor on monday?

I would like to help you with your question about swelling below your right ear.

It sounds like you may be experiencing a swollen lymph node. Without actually seeing you, this is the most common cause of swelling and tenderness in the area that you described. A swollen lymph node may accompany some sort of viral infection and it is often a self-limiting condition which clears up on its own. Here is an illustration:

If this is your only symptom, then it does not sound particularly urgent. I think that you should have no problem waiting until Monday to get it checked out.

If the swelling is causing trouble with your breathing or if it becomes excessively painful, then you will want to be seen immediately.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Your info has been most helpful. Shall I just apply ice until Monday?

Yes, if the ice is helping you to feel better then it is safe to use until Monday.

I'm sure that you will be fine and I wish you the best!