Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

What exactly is a thrombosed aneurysm I know what an aneurysm

What exactly is a thrombosed aneurysm? I know what an aneurysm is, but what does "thrombosed" mean? It is in relation to a "reconstituted" aorto-bifemoral blockage - which I'm not too sure what that means either.

I also know aorto-bifemoral, but not "reconstituted"?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.

Greetings,

Please write in detail in what connection you want this information? Did you have any operation?

Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It's actually for my 70 year old mom. 6 years ago she had 3 brain aneurysms and survived, but now a vascular surgeon has said that she has a "thrombosed aneurysm" with (and I may have this in an incorrect order) a "reconstituted" aorto bifemoral blockage.

The medical assistant said that it's good that it's reconstituted, but I have no idea what it means and when I'm trying to explain this to a brain-injured, aphasic woman with cognitive impairment, it gets a little tricky.

The original surgeon's letter stated that the femoral pulse is absent bilaterally and that she probably has a bilateral iliac artery occlusion. Then she had a CT angiogram - and my question comes from the results of that angiogram.

I would ask him but they are in a different city than I am and I can't arrange any time to actually speak with him.

Any help you can give me in terms of definitions and possible sites for more information would be appreciated - the search terms I'm using aren't working!

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Did she have any operation on aneurysm?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On the brain one yes - 9 hours worth but not on the aorto one yet. The surgeon wants to do some more tests on heart and lungs - which I don't quite understand why either except that we are dealing with the aorta artery into the abdomen.

After the heart/lung tests surgery is expected possibly by December or January (I hope). Her quality of life is very poor right now as she cannot walk a 1/2 block without being in severe pain and her legs sometimes collapsing under her.

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

Thrombosed aneurysm means there is clot within it. Clot can form within the aneurysm from different factors. Slowing & turbulence of blood flow are common factors. Reconstituted aneurysm means the aneurysm which has been repaired.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish her healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

One more quick question - does "reconstituted" mean that the aneurysm in the aorta had burst or broken and is now repaired or just that the aneurysm has possibly shrunk?

And thanks for taking the time to answer.....

Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 5 years ago.
It does not mean that the aneurysm has burst or broken. It can mean that it has been reconstructed.
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience