Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM

Will a hiatal hernia be the cause of food getting stuck in

Will a hiatal hernia be the cause of food getting stuck in the esophagus? Sometimes when I eat, the food will not go down, even with liquid. I try to eat slower and chew completely, but sometimes it feels like the food is packing in my throat, and I have to regurgitate, and wait before I can finish eating. any suggestions?
A hiatus hernia is the protrusion (or herniation) of the upper part of the stomach into the thorax through a tear or weakness in the diaphragm.
It can result in heartburn and regurgitation, when stomach acid refluxes back into the esophagus which may be the result of a weakened lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Symptoms of hernia can be due to acid reflux .
Hiatal hernia and GERD often occur together.

Excessive acid reflux can result in burning sensation in throat, nausea .
It can also result in difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) or a sensation of a lump in the throat (globus sensation).
The cause of dysphagia is an obstruction to the passage of the swallowed bolus by diaphragmatic impingement on the herniated stomach.
Even stomach acid backing up into your esophagus can cause inflammation and scarring. This narrows your esophagus, making it hard for you to swallow.
Sometimes choking sensation is experienced by some patients.

It is advised to undergo Barium X-ray or endoscopy for further evaluation.
I suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is the difference in hiatal and para esophageal hernia? the later is the only one I found that mentioned that food would back up into the esophagus and have to be regurgitated. Do both have the same symptoms, and are both treated the same..with surgery?

There are two main types of hiatal hernias- sliding and paraesophageal (next to the esophagus).

In a sliding hiatal hernia, the stomach and the section of the esophagus that joins the stomach slide up into the chest through the hiatus.
The paraesophageal hernia is less common and the esophagus and stomach stay in their normal locations, but part of the stomach squeezes through the hiatus, landing it next to the esophagus.
As such symptoms of sliding hernia include -
heartburn and regurgitation.
burning sensation in throat, nausea
difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) .
They almost always are those of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) .

Paraesophageal hiatal hernias may not present symptoms although if it is large then it compresses the adjacent esophagus, may impede the passage of food into the stomach and cause food to stick in the esophagus after it is swallowed.
Fortunately, large para-esophageal hernias are uncommon.
The para- esophageal hernias themselves remain in the chest at all times and are not affected by swallows.

Ulcers also may form in the herniated stomach due to the trauma caused by food that is stuck or acid from the stomach.

Barium X-ray can be helpful in diagnose of types of hernia.
Both get repaired with same Laparascopic hernia repair with Nissen fundoplication surgery.

I hope this helps.