Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK

6 months after a knee replacement operation, I have a tightness

Customer Question

6 months after a knee replacement operation, I have a tightness and numbness around the knee area. Feels like its inflamed but no heat at all. A alternative medicine therapist has described it as adoemia (spelling?") phonetically - adeemia. Can you shed any light or offer any explanation as to this "condition"
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p>Probably your physician told you OEDEMA.It is actually collection of fluid in any area due to oozing of the fluid from vessels of that area.If you are having oedema after knee surgery it is not necessarily related to inflammtion somtimes it do happen at surgical site after such a major surgery as your body is adjusting with this new change.What you can do is to apply some cold packs at the area for about 7 minutes.As regard numbness then it is also temporary after knee surgery and will go away as the skin will recover its sensory nerve supply after 1 month.</p><p>Regards,</p><p>Dr.Naeem</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Your reply doesn't suggest that my question was read! You replied numbness would return after a month - but my question indicated that the operation was 6 MONTHS AGO.

I also advised that I had tried both heat and cold therapy - you're suggesting cold packs.

Your reply is not satisfactory!

Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
What I mean to tell that numbness will go away after the normal nerve sensations of skin are healed up which takes time.From one month to 4 months.If you are not satisfied with my question then I open the question for other doctors to answer.
Expert:  Dr. Nomi replied 7 years ago.
I wish you good health.Some misunderstanding occured.But sincerely XXXXX XXXXX try to help every patient who ask a question on this forum.Thanks