A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I recently watched an echocardiogram. There was a blue color

I recently watched an echocardiogram. There was a blue color and a red color... showing in the heart as it pumped. As I understood it, one color represented blood being pumped away from the heart, while the other color represented blood returning to the heart. My question is, in one area where the technitian seemed to be concentrating, there were flashes of other colors as well, including white and yellow... and it looked like the blood wasn't flowing correctly in that particular area of the heart. What do the extra colors showing up, the whites, and yellows...etc ( in addition to the normal blue and red), usually indicate? could it possibly be a problem with the blood flow in that particular area of the regurgitation or other problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Actually red represents blood flowing toward the transducer and blue is away from the transducer (not to and from the heart). Other colors occur when the velocity of the blood flow increases or decreases. it doesn't necessarily mean that there is any problem with the blood flow. All blood will flow faster and slower as the heart beats. Velocity also changes as it nears a valve.