Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I have lower back pain on the left side around waist level.

I have lower back pain on the left side around waist level. My bowels have been irregular for about two months. No other symptoms, maybe a slight fever but not for sure, no vomiting or nausea. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Hello, can you explain what you mean about bowels not being regular?

Any change to urine color/odor/frequency?

Can you describe how the pain affects you, how long it lasts and what is affeccting your walk?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My bowels have not been moving and if i can go, it's just small lumps. not a good bowel movement at all. I guess my walking is affected by the fact that the pain, particularily last night. Moving,was real painful. The pain is constant, but at times much worse than others. I have had three back fusions on my lower 3 lumbar discs, but this pain is entirely differnent than the pain I had with the back surgeries.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the extra information, can you tell me if you have tried any laxatives?

What medication do you take?

How much water do you drink daily?

What is your diet like?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I take metoprolol 2 50 mg daily,
edecrin 1 25mg daily,
zetia 1 10 mg daily,
amlodipine 110/20 mg daily,
81 mg aspirin daily,
multi vitamin
calcium
loratadine 10 mg daily,
at least 4 200 mg ibuprofen daily at bedtime.

I don't drink enough water, this I know.

My diet is average, not excessive in anyone item. A year and a half ago I lost 50 lbs, but since I have gained half back.
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

It is very important that you drink enough water, and I would recommend 8 glasses per day. You need to add a laxative short term and I would recommend docusate which is a stimulent and softener so should make passing bowel movments more comfortable.

I would also recommend that you change your ibuprofen to 400mg three times daily (with food) in order to provide a more even pain relief and also take tylenol regular (as per pack instructions) too.

When the pain is better, then increasing mobility will also help the constipation issues too.