Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

Do I need to fast before a liver function test If so, how

Customer Question

Do I need to fast before a liver function test? If so, how many hours before the test?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

The blood test are usually done in the blood sample collected after having an overnight fast. It helps us in getting the accurate results.

You may not take anything by mouth for 8-10 hrs before giving the sample for the test.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Nothing at all....not even water?

I can have water when I have a cholesterol blood test ..why not a liver function test?

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

Thank you for the information,

You may have some water if you feel thirsty and excess water intake should be avoided just before taking the test as it may increase the blood volume and may dilute the test.

The blood test are usually taken from the early morning sample which gives the best and accurate results.

Please visit here for more information

LFT

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Went for the liver function test today after doing a limited fast and the lab tech who has been in the business for 30 plus years told me you never have to fast for a liver function test.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

Thank you for the reply,

The blood tests are more accurate when taken from an early morning sample.The drinking of excess water or food before the test should be avoided as possible to prevent dilution.

Please visit here

blood collection for LFT and fasting

Let me know if you need any more information

thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not accept your response because it does not answer my original question. I asked if I had to fast to have a liver function blood test because I am taking Lamisil. Was told by you I must fast...even water.....and a lab tech with 30 years experience tells me no way do I need to fast which I did.......and the test was taken early....I need no more info from you.

Thanks.

P

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

Thank you for the reply,

If you do not want to accept then i will ask the moderator to issue you refund.

Best wishes!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I will never use this site again.

Best wishes to you.

T

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

You are welcome to use this site whenever you want.

All the Best!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will not be accepting your answer because it is a wrong answer according to the lab tech who took the blood and my family doctor. I believe I communicated this response to you last week.

Thank you.

P

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.

Dear trish,

There is no obligation for you if you do not want to accept.

Best wishes!