Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

why does my stomach swell up every day, in the morning i have

why does my stomach swell up every day, in the morning i have a flat stomach and by bed time i look about 6 months pregnant. i have eleminated bread, dairy, and caffine from my diet as my doctor thought it might be a food intollerence. i have also tried removing wheat from my diet but nothing makes any difference, i can only eat small portions and if i eat to much i'm extremely uncomfortable. it often feels like i have a sausage shaped lump across my belly button deep inside. what could be the problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

I would like to help you with your question about swelling in your abdomen.

It is possible that you have a condition called "dysbiosis of the gut". Normally the digestive tract is filled with healthful symbiotic bacteria that help to digest food. Sometimes these healthy bacteria die off and get replaced with pathogenic strains of bacteria, yeast, and parasites.

These types of unhealthy organisms in the gut can lead to bloating and swelling of the intestines.

There are several things that you can do to help yourself.

First, pick up a probiotic supplement at your local vitamin store. One example of an easy-to-find quality product is the supplement called "PB", here is the link:

http://www.nutritionnow.com/PB8.htm

Second, you can try taking a digestive enzyme with your meals to help breakdown all of the foodstuff and prevent fermentation. A few examples of quality digestive enzymes include pancreatin, Super Enzyme Caps by Twinlabs, Digest Gold by Enzymedica, and NOW Brand Plant Enzymes.

Third, it is important to limit your intake of sugar and simple carbohydrates. These are the kinds of foods that promote the growth of yeast, parasites, and unhealthy bacteria in the gut.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Dr.David
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have already tried a probiotic with little effect but i will try the enzymes thanks

Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your response.

If you are satisfied with your answer, then please click the green Accept button so that I can be compensated for my work.

Or if you need more information, I would be happy to keep answering your question until you are satisfied.

Thanks again,

Dr.David