Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

My 2 month old baby is throwing up mucus with her formula.

My 2 month old baby is throwing up mucus with her formula. What does this mean?
She also has alot of saliva while she is resting now. I gave her 2oz of water before she went to bathe. The reason why i gave her water was because she was showing signs of hunger & fussyness. She also had 2oz of formula one hour before. Her temp is 36.9 c.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
What type of formula does she take? How often does she eat? Does she burp well for you? Is she peeing and pooping? Does she have any lumps on her belly near the bottom of her rib cage? Is she congested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi-

She used to eat infamil lipil premium but we recently changed it to gas and fussiness. She usually eats 3 to 4 oz. every 3 hours or so. Today she was taking 2 oz. every two hours. She burps well, sometimes it takes a little bit more time. Yes she is peeing, and she is pooping once or twice a day. No lumps. She is congested in the mornings and nights.

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The mucus could either be from drainage she has from the congestion that is going into her stomach or it could be mucus from her stomach. I would think the first would be more likely. Since she is not running a fever, it does not appear to infection related right now. If she starts having diarrhea or looser stools than usual or starts running a fever, I would contact your doctor so they can check her for infection.If the spit up starts coming out of her like a projectile across the couch that would also be something to contact the doctor about.

It sounds like she is eating well and her body is working as it should since she is peeing and pooping.

I don't know which formula you are using, but you could also try giving her a few mylicon drops as directed on the package after her bottle to help with the gas issue. That may be why she is fussy due to the gas on her belly.

You might also try holding her in different positions - like cradling her in your arms with her laying facing toward the floor and gently move her back and forth or walk with her. I do this with my granddaughter who gets fussy and has gas issues. It seems to calm her down at times.

I hope this information has been helpful. Please let me know if I can help you again. If this information answered your question, please click the Accept button. Thank you.

Susan RN, Nurse
Experience: RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical