A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Why do I smell like alcohol the next day after 2 glasses of

Why do I smell like alcohol the next day after 2 glasses of wine
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. While the average length of time to metabolize alcohol is about one drink per hour to yield blood alcohol contents that will give you a passing score on a breathalyzer or urine alcohol test, the byproducts of alcohol remain in your system much longer, up to as much as 3-4 days. Some people with very sensitive noses can pick up the odor in sweat and urine for at least a day or two afterward.

It's of no particular concern. Odor is very much concerned with the type of wine, the amount, how much water you've had along with it, and many other things. It is recommended that women confine themselves to one alcoholic drink per day and men to two. Consistent consumption of more than that can be a problem.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is there a reason why I would smell?

My boyfriend thinks that I tied one on the other night. Two glasses is not tying one on.

Is my liver not breaking down the alcohol? Do I have an allergy that may cause this? I am at the point to where I am afraid to have a glass or even look at a bottle.

Thank you in advance for your help.Smile

Customer/p>

It is just a personal trait, like some people have an odor after eating asparagus and some don't. Your liver breaks down the alcohol just fine (or you would be feeling high after just 1-2 drinks), and you aren't allergic. Some people just have the misfortune to secrete the byproducts in sweat and that is what your boyfriend notices. He probably has an exceptionally sensitive nose and picks up on odors that others don't. You can try chlorophyll tablets to see if that helps. There really isn't any scientific proof that it will, but many people use them for skin and breath odors when eating garlic and other odoriferous foods and think that they help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My last question, I promise.

Why is it that I can have 4 glasses of wine and not have an odor and other times have less than 4 and smell?

Thank you..

Customer/p>
It may have to do with what you have to eat with it, how much water you drink afterwards, the type (age, variety) of wine you drink, and dozens of other things.