Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.

What would cause a burning sensation under my skin in my wrist

Customer Question

What would cause a burning sensation under my skin in my wrist area?
Category: Health
Expert:  Mel. replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

From the wrist to the hand is a narrow tunnel through which tendons and nerves pass in order to supply the hand and fingers.It is a very tight fit and if the tunnel becomes narrowed it can pinch a nerve which will cause burning or tingling.

There are a couple of things you can do to see if it likely to be that.

For the first test, known as Tinel's sign, thump your wrist just below the palm of your hand, where your median nerve is located. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a likely diagnosis if this causes or intensifies tingling, tickling, pricking, or burning sensations in your hand or wrist.

For the second test, Phalen's sign, flex your wrists, palms down, and press the backs of your wrists together. If holding this position for about a minute causes or intensifies tingling, tickling, pricking, or burning sensations, you may have carpal tunnel syndrome

For the third test, elevate your hand for two minutes to see whether this increases your symptoms.

I would aadvise you to see your doctor to assess whether or not this is carpal tunnel syndrome now so that if it is you can commence treatment now before the burning turns to pain.

I do hope you get it sorted out soon .

With my very best wishes