Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
2598649

what does a urine microalbumin of 11.2 mean

what does a urine microalbumin of 11.2 mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 5 years ago.
A microalbumin test checks urine for the presence of a protein called albumin.
The microalbumin test is an early indicator of kidney failure .
It measures the tiny amounts of albumin that the body begins to release into the urine several years before significant kidney damage becomes apparent.
This is frequently seen in chronic diseases, such as diabetes and hypertension, with increasing amounts of protein in the urine reflecting increasing kidney failure.
Normal levels -
Less than 30 milligrams (mg) of albumin in 24 hours

Less than 20 milligrams per liter (mg/L) for 10-hour (overnight) collection

As your results of urine microalbumin are normal.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
doctor said mine was elevated at 11.2 or 112 cant really read the number .think it is 11.2 will discuss at my appt. so you said it is ok or will I have to watch it or do something about it?
Can you tell me the exact units ?
11.2 ?mg/L.
Please send us the results with units mentioned in your reports.
I 'll help you in better way.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
nurse just wrote the number 11.2 or maybe 112 but I think i see 11.2 nothing else written on paper with the other r34sults which were all normal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for this mix up with the numbers nurse just said elevated at 11.2
As such normal range of urine microalbumin is measured in mg/L.
Less than 30 mg is normal.
Thirty to 300 mg indicates early kidney disease (microalbuminuria).
More than 300 mg indicates more advanced kidney disease (macroalbuminuria).

if your result is 11.2 then in my opinion it is in normal range .
However if it is 112 then it is suggestive of microalbuminuria.

As you have history of Diabetes, mild microalbuminuria can be resulted due it.

You should eat low protein diet as per doctor advised.
Your doctor may prescribe you new medications or increase dosage to treat Diabetes which is underlying cause in your case.

You should drink plenty of water.
You need to undergo Urine test at regular intervals as well.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM