Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

As soon as I finished playing golf yesterday, I immediately

As soon as I finished playing golf yesterday, I immediately felt extremely weak. By the time I got home I felt very warm and couldn't cool off even in air conditioning. A few hours later when I getting ready for bed I didn't have good balance and then I couldn't get warm. While in bed and under the blankets my body was very warm but I had uncontrollable shaking,or shivering, that went on for hours, until 4:00 in the morning. and while in bed I was getting extreme cramps in my legs and feet. Do you have any idea of what was causing all these symptoms?

Thank you for any input to my problem.

David Rittenhouse
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 7 years ago.

Will you please answer some questions-

1.Was the session of golf was long enough to lead to dehydration according to outer tempreture?

2.Is there any associated fatigue or malaise?

3.Are you having any throat or urinary problems?

4.Are you diabetic?

Please reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was a normal 18 hole round of golf about 4 hrs long. during the round I had a 24 oz.low carb energy drink, a diet soft drink and a 16 oz. bottle of water. The temperature for the day was in the Mid 80's.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 7 years ago.

Hello

I see your other expert is not online and you are waiting.

It sounds very consistant with heat exhaustion. Heat exhaustion symptoms include, dizziness, fatigue, chills, low grade fever, nausea, headache, feeling faint, weak-but rapid heart rate, and several others.

Treatment would have been to get into a shady (preferably air-conditioned room), drink plenty of fluids, take cool showers/baths, take Tylenol, and rest. Sounds like you did all the necessary things, and if you are feeling like yourself today, I would say you are ok. If not, I would see my Dr for an electrolyte status check (done via blood work).

Things to look for that would have called for emergency care would include irritability, confusion, or unconsciousness, or his heart rate becomes elevated (over 100 beats per minute) or he fainting, as this might have been an actual heat stroke.

Heat exhaustion can occur at any time....even if you think you are drinking properly. So, next time you play gold, try to put yourself in the shade if at all possible (when you can) and as often as you can and take plenty of breaks.

Hope this helps!

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.