Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

i can not straighten my right arm out, it hurts at my elbow.

i can not straighten my right arm out, it hurts at my elbow. i can not do any lifting on that arm. no i have not hurt it or bumped it at all. i work in management so no physical work that i do but use a pen. Last week my right hand was hurting and i could hardly use it, but i had been suffering from carpal tunnel problems off and on over the past 2yrs. Don't have time to take off work for surgery. my right hand only hurt for about 2 days. But i can not sit up and put
anykinda pressure on my elbow, it is like sore on side of my bone there. But i can not hold my arm out straight without pain. Any ideas of what the problem is? I am 47yrs old, 175-lbs.
Yes, when i was younger i have actually broken both arms before, but at different times.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
YOu mention you have carpal tunnel problems with the right hand. HAve you ever had tenditis in your right arm? tennis elbow?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

nope never had a problem till right now. still can't straighten it out.

so what ya think

Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
When you try to pick up a pencil or pen, does the pain get worse? If so, it sounds like you could have tennis elbow or tendinitis in your elbow. Whenever you use your hands a lot, like writing or typing, it can put stress on the muscles and tendons in your arm.

"Tennis elbow" is a common term for a condition caused by overuse of arm and forearm muscles that results in elbow pain. You don't have to play tennis to get this, but the term came into use because it can be a significant problem for some tennis players.( Some doctors will refer to it as tendinitis. Treatment usually involves decreasing the use of the arm slightly (for example, when I had tennis elbow and I don't play sports at all) I also had carpal tunnel and DeQuervan's syndrome at the same time all related to the tendinitis in my right arm. IT is treated with ice and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen(advil) or naproxsyn (alleve). Unless you have a condition that prohibits you from taking either of these, you can take up to 800 mg of ibuprofen every 12 - 24 hours which would be prescription strength. There are some stretching exercises that will help the tendons once healing starts.

Please go to and type tendinitis into the search line. There is more information there.

I hope this information is helpful. I wish you a speedy recovery. Please let me know if you need anything else. It will take a little time for it to heal because it took a little time for it to occur.

If my answer is OK with you, please click the Accept button. If you are very satisfied with my answer, a bonus is welcomed. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i can write, type just can not straighten it out still

Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
Please read my edited post and let me know if that helps.